The Mitchell Thorp Foundation (MTF) offers four primary programs; Medical & Home Assistance, Healing & Rehabilitation, Conversion Vans and Youth Leadership Council each comprise of several support services. MTF Programs have been structured with the intention of supporting eligible* families to achieve and maintain the Six Dimensions of Health (Occupational, Physical, Social, Intellectual, Spiritual, and Emotional), as defined by the National Wellness Institute.
Program service packages are tailored to the needs of individuals by staff. The individualized services may include financial support, service projects, and/or referrals, depending upon specific needs and resource availability.
Medical & Home Assistance Program
- Medical Treatment Services: Provide financial support for required medical treatments that are not covered by insurance.
- Medical Equipment Services: Provide medical equipment following family assessment for need.
- Transportation Services: Provide funding for air or other transportation to and from medical facilities to receive required treatments.
- Hotel Stay: Covers the family’s hotel and meal expenses while away from home for their child’s treatments.
- Home Assistance Services: Provide home improvements that will improve the mobility and well-being of the child.
- Advocacy Services: for families with medical service professionals.
- MTF Family & Child Adventures Services: Provide families enriching camp experiences for siblings and children who are being treated.
Healing & Rehabilitation Programs
- Physical Therapy & Neuro Motor Integration Services: Not covered by insurance, Physical and Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, Aqua Therapy, Hyperbaric Oxygen, Horse Therapy, Neuro Sensory Motor Integration, Neuromuscular re-education and Cancer Rehab Programs.
- Integrative Medicine & Therapy Services: Osteopaths, Chiropractic Kinesiology, Nutritional Therapy, Naturopathic Medicine, Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatments, Cleansing & Detoxification, Electro-Lymphatic Therapy, Cranial Sacral Therapy, Lymph Drainage, Reiki, Allergy Clearings, Acupuncture, Essential Oils, Colon Hydrotherapy, Massage Therapy, Chelation Therapy, Infrared Sauna Therapy.
- Educational Sessions & Personal Self-Care Services: The look good feel good program is designed to help the care giver and patient receives some pampering treatments in the hospital or home. Wigs provided for cancer patients.
- Counseling Services: Counseling in Behavior Modification; Family & Marriage; Grief Counseling, Spiritual Healing and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder therapy from trauma.
Conversion Van Program
This fund is being established in loving memory of Lauren Christine Francis. Lauren’s Freedom Fund was established to help families purchase wheelchair accessible vehicles, affording them the freedom to enjoy their time together. A handicap accessible mobility van is a necessity, not a luxury.
Youth Leadership Council Program
MTF is all about helping kids, we believe the youth in our community need a place to volunteer and make a difference! The primary focus areas of the group are community service, fundraising and the leadership development program. One of the core values of MTF is to empower youth and to recognize their service and accomplishments. In support of this, we have established a Youth Leadership Council, comprising of students, grades 8th-12th, from both public and private schools in San Diego County, students serve a 2 year commitment to MTF. Click here to learn more.
* Eligibility guidelines for all the above are described in detail in the Finance and Accounting Policy.